Monday, August 30, 2010

Off-Season Mallomars


This week Todd sent me a very intriguing link from the kitchn on "How To Make Homemade Mallomars." Since they looked delicious and we're always up for a challenge we decided to make them as soon as we had a chance.  We had to choose a graham cracker recipe.  There were two options the "DIY Graham Crackers" also from the kitchn and one from Martha Stewart.  Although the example mallomars included the Martha Stewart recipe we opted for the ones from the kitchn, which had more whole wheat flour in an effort to make a slightly healthier mallomar.  We can try, right? 

The recipe is broken into three big steps: 1. make graham crackers, 2. add marshmallow, 3. dip in chocolate.  The first step was deceptively easy.  Whip up graham cracker dough:

Roll out the dough.
Make cute little circles.

Bake until toasty brown.

Next was the tricky sticky part: the marsmallow.  Make no mistake—everything in your kitchen will be sticky by the time you're done.  And I think that maybe we could have whipped it a little less because we had a bit of a struggle getting the fluff into the bags we used to pipe it and on to the graham crackers.


As you can tell Todd and I had two different styles of applying the marshmallow fluff.  Guess which ones each of us did.

Hint: Todd says the left method is too hard.
Mine are the ones on the left that look a little like marshmallow peeps perched on the graham crackers.  I just applied the tip of my icing bag, with a fairly large opening, to one point in the middle of the cracker and then kept squeezing until I'd made a peep.  Todd on the other hand used a much smaller opening, started at the edge of the graham cracker and went around in a circle. 


The final part of the whole process involved some fondue.  Once the marshmallows set, you take them and dip them in melted chocolate.  We chose yummy dark chocolate and melted it up in our fondue pot and then started dipping.  In an effort to make this project even more complicated I insisted on making my half of the mallowmars with peppermint marshmallows and to designate them, in case the shape didn't give them away I put pieces of peppermint candy on top.


This project made for a long day, but the final product was delicious!  Unfortunately they have spoiled us for commercial mallomars.  Our homemade mallomars have a very thick, satisfying graham cracker, chewy flavorful marshmallow, and a generous but crackly coating of delicious dark chocolate.  I really liked my peppermint variation and I think I could have added even more of the peppermint extract. 

Todd's post-experiment edit:  I do not like commercial mallomars and only passed this along because I knew Olivia liked them. But after we ate all of these I started to have dreams about them. The graham crackers in these are absolutely delicious. I also don't like marshmallow very much, but this marshmallow was delicious. The quality of the ingredients is what makes this recipe and I'm anxious to make them again. I also preferred the vanilla to the peppermint. It overwhelmed the delicious graham cracker and marshmallow intermingling.

No comments:

Post a Comment